Audiobook

 


I listened to the audiobook version of The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This was my first time listening to an audiobook, so it was a new experience for me. I honestly don't think audiobooks are my cup of tea. I like to see the words on the page and read at my own pace. This was a good change for me though. I got to try something new and reflect on my experience. I can see the appeal of audiobooks. It is nice to listen to them as you do your daily routine, but I personally found it hard to focus. This book was quite long as well so I listened to it on double speed. 

This book is about a girl, Mary Lennox, who has recently become an orphan. Growing up, she was neglected by her parents and grew up to become selfish and disagreeable. Now, she is 10 years old and has been sent to live with her uncle, Archibald Craven. He has lost his wife and locked up her garden ever since. Mary listens to stories told by Martha, who is one of the servants. Mary is intrigued by her stories and wants to find the key to the locked garden. She spends the next few weeks wandering the grounds determined to find it. One day, she discovers an old key and enters the garden. She finds it full of overgrown plants and begins clearing the weeds. As Mary continues to tend to the garden, her interaction with nature leads to a fascinating transformation. Mary becomes more kinder and considerate. She slowly invites others around her into the garden and they begin to grow healthier and happier as well. Her uncle sees the transformation of the garden and learns to embrace his family as well as his outlook on life. 


Comments

  1. I am not a fan of audio books as well. I love touching pages and reflecting on smething I just read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment